The origins of bread pudding date back to the early 11th and 12th centuries as a way to use stale, leftover bread. A warm, comforting dish, this unique recipe combines a classic bread pudding with pumpkin and pumpkin spice for a delightfully fall dessert dish.
- 5 large eggs
- 1.5 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-packed pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) day-old French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 ounces Havarti cheese, cubed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salted caramel sauce, divided
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Beat the eggs, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in milk, pumpkin, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in bread; let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Spoon half of the bread mixture in a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Cover with Havarti. Drizzle with one cup salted caramel sauce. Spoon remaining bread mixture over top, lightly press down.
4. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 20-25 minutes until center is set and a temperature reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve warm with remaining caramel sauce.